Mad About Mads Mikkelsen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On June 1st the old MAMM forum closed down, this is an attempt at life-saving.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Filmfestival in Cannes 2013

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Quote :
Cannes 2013: the full programme

The full list of films at this year's Cannes film festival

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 18 April 2013 09.47 BST

Opening night film: The Great Gatsby, dir Baz Luhrmann

Closing night film: Zulu, dir Jérôme Salle

In competition

Jury chair: Steven Spielberg

• Only God Forgives, dir Nicolas Winding Refn
  • Inside Llewyn Davis, dir Ethan and Joel Coen
  • Borgman, dir Alex Can Warmerdam
  • La Grande Bellezza, dir Paulo Sorrentino
  • Behind the Candelabra, dir Steven Soderbergh
  • La Venus a la Fourrure, dir Roman Polanski
  • Nebraska, dir Alexander Payne
  • Jeune et Jolie, dir François Ozon
  • La Vie d'Adele, dir Abdellatif Kechiche
  • Wara No Tate, dir Takashi Miike
  • Soshite Chichi Ni Naru, dir Kore-Eda Hirokazu
  • Tian Zhu Ding, dir Jia Zhangke
  • Grisgris, dir Mahamat-Saleh Haroun
  • The Immigrant, dir James Gray
  • Heli, dir Amat Escalante
  • Le Passe, dir Asghar Farhadi
  • Michael Kohlhaas, dir Arnaud Despallieres
  • Un Chateau en Italie, dir Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi

Un Certain Regard

Jury chair: Thomas Vinterberg

• The Bling Ring, dir Sofia Coppola
  • L'Inconnu Du La, dir Alain Guiraudie
  • Bends, dir Flora LAU
  • L'image Manquante, dir Rithy PANH
  • La Jaula De Oro, dir Diego Quemada-Diez
  • Anonymous, dir Mohammad Rasoulof
  • Sarah Préfére La Course, dir Chloé Robichaud
  • Grand Central, dir Rebecca Zlotowski
  • Fruitvale Station, dir Ryan Coogler
  • Les Salauds, dir Claire Denis
  • Norte, Hangganan Ng Kasaysayan, dir Lav Diaz
  • As I Lay Dying, dir James Franco
  • Miele, dir Valeria Golino
  • Omar, dir Hany Abu-Assad
  • Death March, dir Adolfo Alix Jr

Cinefondation

Jury chair: Jane Campion

• The Norm of Life, Dir: Evgeny Byalo, Russia
  • The Magnificent Lion Boy, Dir: Ana Caro, United Kingdom
  • O Šunce (Ham Story), Dir: Eliška Chytková, Czech Republic
  • Duet, Dir: Navid Danesh, Iran
  • Babaga, Dir: Gan De Lange, Israel
  • Needle, Dir: Anahita Ghazvinizadeh, USA
  • En Attendant Le Dégel (Waiting for the Thaw), Dir: Sarah Hirtt, Belgium
  • Contrafábula De Una Niña Disecada (Fable of a Blood-Drained Girl), Dir: Alejandro Iglesias Mendizábal, Mexico
  • Stepsister, Dir: Joey Izzo, USA
  • Au delà De L'hiver (After the Winter), Dir: Jow Zhi Wei, France
  • În Acvariu (In the Fishbowl), Dir: Tudor Cristian Jurgiu, Romania
  • Seon (The Line), Dir: Kim Soo-Jin, South Korea
  • Asunción, Dir: Camila Luna Toledo, Chile
  • Going South, Dir: Jefferson Moneo, USA
  • Danse Macabre, Dir: Malgorzata Rzanek, Poland
  • Mañana Todas Las Cosas (Tomorrow All the Things), Dir: Sebastián Schjaer, Argentina
  • Exil (Exile), Dir: Vladilen Vierny, France
  • Pandy (Pandas), Dir: Matúš Vizár, Czech Republic

Special screenings

• Weekend of a Champion, Dir: Roman Polanski
  • Seduced and Abandoned, Dir: James Toback
  • Otdat Konci, Dir: Taisia Igumentseva
  • Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fight, Dir: Stephen Frears
  • Stop the Pounding Heart, Dir: Robero Minervini

Midnight screenings

• Monsoon Shootout, Dir: Amit Kumar
  • Blind Detective, Dir: Johnnie To

Homage to Jerry Lewis

• Max Rose, Dir: Daniel Noah

Out of Competiton

• All is Lost, Dir: J.C Chandor
  • Blood Ties, Dir: Guillaume Canet

Gala screening, tribute to India

• Bombay Talkies, Dir: Anurag Kashyap, Dibakar Banerjee,
  • Zoya Akhtar, Karan Johar

Source: The Guardian

Finally "Michael Kohlhaas" will be at cinemas! Well in Germany maybe not until 2014, but the movie isn't lost!
Back to top Go down
annesrake
Le Chiffre's Tissue Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Finally!!! cheers I was wondering the other day if that film would ever be released...
And they also show the new Winding-Refn with Ryan Gosling - huge expectations on my part after "Drive"!
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 3:52 am

Quote :
Cannes: Mads Mikkelsen Ready to Play the Hero

9:01 PM PDT 5/15/2013 by Scott Roxborough

The Danish actor has menaced James Bond and feasted as Hannibal Lecter, but now he stars in the Western "The Salvation."

He’s been a (falsely accused) child molester and a (self-confessed) cannibal, a James Bond villain and a true-life WWII hero. Now, Danish star Mads Mikkelsen is breaking new ground with The Salvation, a Western from director Kristian Levring that TrustNordisk is shopping to buyers at the Cannes Film Market.

“Well, I’m 47, I figured if I still wanted to play a Western it was now or never,” says Mikkelsen, speaking to THR from The Salvation set in South Africa. “I think the whole world grew up on Westerns -- playing with guns and hats, cowboys and Indians. But I was careful not to copy the performances of those classic Westerns [of Gary Cooper or Clint Eastwood]. My character isn’t a gunslinger. He’s an ordinary man.”

In Salvation, Mikkelsen plays John, a Danish immigrant in America, circa 1870. When a local gang leader massacres John’s family, the peaceful pioneer turns into a vengeful hunter. Eva Green, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and fellow Scandinavian Mikael Persbrandt also star.

The project already is getting strong pre-sales buzz, not least because of Mikkelsen. The veteran actor, long an A-lister in Europe, is moving up buyers’ lists worldwide thanks to his weekly performance as a young Hannibal Lecter on NBC’s critically-acclaimed procedural Hannibal and his best actor win in Cannes last year playing that falsely accused pedophile in Thomas Vinterberg’s The Hunt.

“I was pretty established before, but to a certain degree and in certain territories, I think winning in Cannes did establish my name,” Mikkelsen says. “But the biggest change was for myself. When I feel in doubt, I can always look at [the award] and think, ‘I’ve done OK'.”

Mikkelsen is putting in another potentially award-winning appearance in the competition lineup this year with Arnaud des Pallieres’ period drama Michael Kohlhaas.

When The Hunt premiered in Cannes last year, critics hailed it as a return to form for Vinterberg, whose directorial debut was the 1998 Dogme classic The Celebration. Some already are suggesting the same could prove true for Salvation director Levring, another Dogme filmmaker most famous for his debut feature, The King Is Alive (2000).

Budgeted just south of $14 million, Salvation is Levring’s biggest film to date and comes with strong art house credentials in the form of co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen and producer Sisse Graum Jorgensen, both veterans of Oscar winner In a Better World. Trust kicked off pre-sales for Salvation in Berlin but is hoping it’s in Cannes that the title will really catch fire.

Source: Hollywoodreporter
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 3:41 am

Quote :
Cannes: Music Box Acquires Competition’s ‘Michael Kohlhaas’ Starring Mads Mikkelsen

By NANCY TARTAGLIONE, International Editor | Friday, 17 May 2013 20:36 UK

Mads Mikkelsen, last year’s Cannes best actor winner – and TV’s Hannibal – plays the titular Michael Kohlhaas in the Arnaud des Pallières drama. Chicago-based Music Box Films has acquired all U.S. and Canadian rights in what is the first North American deal on a Competition title since the fest started on Wednesday (Worldwview picked up Jimmy P. ahead of the proceedings). The film is freely adapted from the 1811 Heinrich von Kleist novel which served as the inspiration for E.L. Doctorow’s Ragtime. It’s being sold by longtime Michael Haneke collaborator Les Films du Losange, whose chief, Margaret Ménégoz, produced Amour. The story follows a prosperous and honest 16th century horse merchant who falls victim to an injustice and raises an army to restore his rights. Produced by Les Films d’Ici (Waltz With Bashir), the movie sold ahead of its first market screening. This is des Pallières’ first film to secure U.S. distribution. The cast also includes Bruno Ganz, Sergi Lopez and Holy Motors‘ Dennis Lavant. The deal was negotiated by Music Box consultant James Brown and Films du Losange’s Agathe Valentin. Music Box plans a 4th quarter 2013 theatrical release.

Source: Deadline
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:24 pm

At the official site you can what a first video snippet of the movie. Mads speaks French! Very Happy It must be very hard to act in a foreign language. I've learned French at school, but to say something with the right nuances must be difficult. And as a film actor there are every day a new text lines. At the theater you have to learn the whole text one time, but then you can work with it.

You have to watch it here, because I can't link the video directly: festival-cannes

BeerIsFood has it online.

Does anybody knows, when the movie is shown in Cannes? I don't find anything.
Back to top Go down
annesrake
Le Chiffre's Tissue Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:56 am

imdb.com mentions 24th May.
I hope, Luin, we don't have to wait again one year before the film gets its release in Germany as with a lot of Cannes films (Drive, Jagten)...
And: Thanks a lot for all the articles, pictures and snippets! I am working quite a lot at the moment and have no time at all to look for Mads info - quite convenient to just go to this site! cheers
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

I try my very best to find some news, but there are rarely to find. The movie ins't in competition today, so only two days are left. Or will there be movies shown on Sunday? Maybe the best is shown at last! Wink

I wonder, that there's no trailer for that movie. I mean it is probably ready since last year, but nobody made a trailer yet.

I want to see the movie and yeah, I don't want to wait so long like last year.

Did you noticed, that Mads walked so typically at the beginning of the trailer? He always walks with a wide chest and it looks like, that he would build a wall against all the bad things, which may come to him. I never saw a man go like that. Maybe this was important long ago, when there were wild animals in the forest. But today the men work in bureaus so they lost their instincts.

I love to see, when Mads does such things. I wonder, if he does it in real life. I can't remember to have seen it in Berlin at the cinema. I think he had walked normal, but I could not swear.
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Today is the day! Michael Kohlhaas will be in Competition. Great! (Finally in France the day had begun, so they have updated their website.)

Quote :
COMPETITION - The experimental cinema of Arnaud des Pallières

the 24.05.2013 at 9:00 AM - Updated on 24.05.2013 at 9:07 AM

Arnaud Des Pallières has just presented his fourth film at Cannes: Michael Kohlhaas, a historical fresco inspired by the short story by Heinrich Von Kleist, with Mads Mikkelsen in the title role.

Of the six French films to feature in Competition, the work by Arnaud des Pallières is something of an outsider. After four unorthodox films and a caustic documentary on Disneyland, the filmmaker from the eclectic and unpredictable world of docufilms has attracted much curiosity with this novelistic project.

The German literary adaptation tells of the revenge of a horse trader living in the Cévennes in the 16th century. The trader, who has lost his worldly goods, sets out on a mission of vengeance to get back what is his.

The armour of Kohlhaas, a bloodthirsty anti-hero, was given to Mads Mikkelsen, a Danish actor riding high since his award-winning role as Best Actor in Thomas Vinterberg’s La Chasse at the 65th Festival de Cannes. A year after winning the prize, this is the actor’s first starring role in a French film, under Des Pallières, a director whose left-field projects seem almost to come from another world.

In 1996, his first film Drancy Avenir, a reflective look back at the deportation of the Jews, featured surprisingly experimental editing in which the sound and image were decoupled. The director sees the cutting room phase as a crucial stage, which he completes alone, in his house in the provinces. Rather than simply assembling scenes, for him this phase is an invitation to reflect, often featuring an intimate voice off.

In an interview with the French newspaper Libération, the director explained that he could not describe his films as they were pure cinematic objects, unable to be captured in words. This admirer of Gertrude Stein declared in the magazine Vision du Réel that one of the author’s phrases has even become a motto: “If it can be done, why do it?”

Lisa Revil

SCREENINGS
Friday 24 May / Grand Théâtre Lumière / 11.30 a.m – 10.30 p.m
Saturday 25 May / Salle du Soixantième / 2 p.m

Source: Festival Cannes

I don't know, when there will be the pressconference and the photocall. I don't find that information. But I'm searching for it!
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 12:24 am

On the official site of the festival are two videos of Michael Kohlhaas - the Photocall and an Interview. I can't download it, but surely you will find it soon on youtube. Laughing

Here is the link: Festival Cannes
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 4:10 am

Quote :
Douglas vs. Mikkelsen

Mads Mikkelsen kunne godt vinde sin anden pris i Cannes i træk for sit skuespil i ’Michael Kohlhaas’, men det er nok Michael Douglas’ flamboyante Liberace i ’Behind the Candelabra’, der er favorit til den pris. I morgen uddeles priserne på den sydfranske filmfestival

25. maj 2013, Af Christian Monggaard

Det værste, der kan ske for en kritiker og journalist på filmfestivalen i Cannes, er, at man misser visningen af den ene konkurrencefilm, som alle de andre journalister og kritikere efterfølgende taler om som en mulig Guldpalme-vinder. Pludselig kan man ikke tale med og får svært ved at skrive noget begavet, skulle filmen gå hen og vinde.

Det skete for mig forleden, hvor fransk-tunesiske Abdellatif Kechiches tre timer lange Blue Is the Warmest Colour blev vist. Jeg tillod mig at springe filmen over, og selvfølgelig fik jeg bagefter sms’er i dusinvis om, hvor god filmen var, og at den bestemt var i spil til en pris eller tre.

»Dybt bevægende portræt af en ung piges vej mod voksenlivet i armene på en anden kvinde,« skrev The Hollywood Reporter i sin anmeldelse af Kechiches film, der byder på flere tilsyneladende usimulerede sexscener, som fik publikum til pressevisningen til spontant at applaudere.

»Det er en passioneret, gribende fortalt kærlighedshistorie, som holdes sammen af fænomenale præstationer af Lea Seydoux og debutanten Adele Exarchopoulos.«

Hele armen
Jeg har lykkeligvis mulighed for at se Blue Is the Warmest Colour søndag, hvor alle konkurrencefilmene vises igen, og indtil da vil jeg tillade mig at lade, som om filmen ikke eksisterer.

Min egen favorit er stadigvæk Paolo Sorrentinos umanerligt smukke og underholdende La grande bellezza (Den store skønhed), en på én gang bidsk og poetisk skildring af en midaldrende, velhavende forfatters jagt på inspiration og et portræt af det skønne Roms (og Italiens) moralske og kunstneriske forfald.

Tony Servillo, der spiller forfatteren i filmen, er desuden et godt bud på en vinder af en af skuespilpriserne.

Det synes dog at være Michael Douglas – eller Oscar Isaac i Coen-brødrenes Inside Llewyn Davis – der er favorit i den kategori for sin indfølte og morsomme præstation som den flamboyante, homoseksuelle pianist og entertainer Liberace i Steven Soderberghs herligt kulørte Behind the Candelabra. Både Douglas og Matt Damon, der spiller Liberaces unge elsker, giver den så at sige hele armen, og man er ikke i tvivl om, at de to virkelig elsker hinanden i filmen.

Fornuft og fanatisme
Også Mads Mikkelsen, der vandt prisen for Bedste Mandlige Skuespiller i Cannes sidste år for sin rolle i Jagten, kunne være i spil til en pris i år. Den danske skuespiller, som gør sig på snart sagt alle sprog, har titelrollen i den franske instruktør Arnaud des Paillièrs’ konkurrencefilm Michael Kohlhaas, der er baseret på en kortroman af den tyske forfatter Heinrich von Kleist.

Michael Kohlhaas er en barsk film om en kompromisløs mand, hestehandleren Kohlhaas (Mads Mikkelsen), der i 1500-tallets Frankrig går i krig med både kirke og konge, da en baron piner og plager to af Kohlhaas’ værdifulde heste og torturerer en af hans tjenere. Kohlhaas er principrytter om en hals, og selv om det får tragiske konsekvenser for ham og hans familie, vil han have oprejsning.

Mads Mikkelsen, der mestrer det stille og alligevel udtryksfulde spil, ikke mindst med sit markante ansigt, udgør et stærkt og karismatisk centrum i den visuelt flotte film, der foregår i det nordlige, vindblæste Frankrig, og som ikke forklarer unødigt, mens den støt og roligt bevæger sig frem mod sin uafvendelige kulmination.

Arnaud des Pallières har med Michael Kohlhaas lavet en fascinerende skæbnefortælling om rigtigt og forkert, fornuft og følelse, principper og ryggesløshed, tro og fanatisme.

Stærk og troværdig
Amerikanske James Gray er en anden af de instruktører, som her til sidst på en bedre end gennemsnitlig festival har lyst op med en velfortalt, vellavet og spændende film i form af The Immigrant, et uforfalsket og operainspireret melodrama med Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix og Jeremy Renner på rollelisten.

Filmen tager løseligt udgangspunkt i Grays egen families historie og handler om to søstre, Ewa og Magda (Cotillard og Angela Sarafyan), der i 1921 – og som så mange andre håbefulde immigranter fra Europa – ankommer til Ellis Island og New York med ønsket om et bedre liv i USA. Magda bliver dog interneret, fordi hun er syg, og nøgenvarietémanageren og alfonsen Bruno (Phoenix) udser sig Ewa som det perfekte nye medlem af sin ’trup’ og hyrer hende ved at love at få Magda ud fra hospitalet på Ellis Island.

Men Ewa er hverken dum eller naiv, hvorfor hun snart gennemskuer Bruno og sørger for at få mere ud af deres arrangement, end han har forestillet sig.

De teksturfyldte, sepiatintede billeder og James Grays sans for periodens mindste detaljer giver The Immigrant stor troværdighed og liv, og Phoenix og Cotillard leverer begge så stærkt spil, at de også godt kunne være med i opløbet om skuespilpriserne. Selv om hun får konkurrence af Bérénice Bejo i Asghar Farhadis Le passé og unge Marine Vacht i François Ozons Jeune & Jolie.

Kvalitet og bredde
Sammen med Michael Kohlhaas – og åbenbart også Blue Is the Warmest Colour – passer The Immigrant desuden fint ind i festivalens gennemgående tema om mennesker, der leder efter lykken og meningen med livet, hvad enten den så er materiel eller eksistentiel.

Det er på én gang ganske specifikke – hvad angår tid, sted og miljø – og alligevel universelle historier, filmene i hovedkonkurrencen i Cannes fortæller i år. Endnu en gang får man et fascinerende og både fremmedartet og velkendt indblik i, hvordan mennesker lever rundt om i den uendeligt store og mangfoldige verden.

I skrivende stund mangler der kun at blive vist to konkurrencefilm: Roman Polanskis Venus in Fur, der er et kammerspil om mødet mellem en instruktør og en skuespiller, der skal samarbejde om hans nye teaterstykke. Og Jim Jarmuschs Only Lovers Left Alive, der skulle være en kærlighedshistorie om vampyrer.

Filmene og oplevelserne skal selvfølgelig have lov til at bundfælde sig, men umiddelbart er det svært at brokke sig over kvaliteten og bredden i årets hovedkonkurrence i Cannes.

Douglas versus Mikkelsen

Mads Mikkelsen could win his second prize at Cannes in a row for her acting in 'Michael Kohlhaas', but it's probably Michael Douglas' flamboyant Liberace in' Behind the Candelabra ', which is the favorite for the price. Tomorrow awarded prices of the southern French Film Festival

25 May 2013 By Christian Monggaard

The worst thing that can happen to a critic and journalist at the Cannes Film Festival, is that it misses the view of one competition films, as all the other journalists and critics subsequently talking about as a possible Palme d'Or-winner. Suddenly, you can not talk to and get hard to write something clever, should the movie go and win.

It happened to me the other day, where French-Tunisian Abdellatif Kechiches three-hour Blue Is the Colour Warmest appeared. I allowed myself to skip the film over, and of course I got behind texting in dozens of how good the movie was and that it certainly was in the game for a price or three.

"Deeply moving portrait of a young girl's path towards adulthood in the arms of another woman," wrote The Hollywood Reporter in its review of Kechiches film that offers several apparently usimulerede sex scenes that got the audience to press view to spontaneously applaud.

"It is a passionate, poignant love story told, held together by phenomenal performance by Lea Seydoux and newcomer Adele Exarchopoulos. '

The whole arm
I have mercifully opportunity to see Blue Is the Colour Warmest Sunday, when all the competition films returns, and until then I will allow myself to pretend that movie does not exist.

My own favorite is still Paolo Sorrentino umanerligt beautiful and entertaining La grande bellezza (The great beauty), one at once fierce and poetic depiction of a middle-aged, wealthy writer's quest for inspiration and a portrait of the beautiful Rome (and Italy) moral and artistic maturity.

Tony Servillo, who plays the writer in the film, is also a good bet for a winner of one of the plays prices.

It seems to be Michael Douglas - or Oscar Isaac in the Coen brothers Inside Llewyn Davis - who is the favorite in the category for his empathetic and amusing performance as the flamboyant, gay pianist and entertainer Liberace in Steven Soderbergh's gloriously colorful Behind the Candelabra. Both Douglas and Matt Damon to play Liberace's young lover, give it, so to speak whole arm, and it is no doubt that the two really love each other in the film.

Reason and fanaticism
Also Mads Mikkelsen, who won the award for Best Actor at Cannes last year for his role in Raiders could be in play for a prize this year. The Danish actor who gets on almost every language has the title role in the French director Arnaud des Paillièrs' competition films Michael Kohlhaas, based on a short novel by the German writer Heinrich von Kleist.

Michael Kohlhaas is a tough film about an uncompromising man, horse dealer Kohlhaas (Mads Mikkelsen), who in 1500s France goes to war with both church and king, when a baron and harassing two of Kohlhaas' valuable horses and torturing one of his servants. Kohlhaas's principle rider on a neck, and although it is tragic consequences for him and his family, he will be vindicated.

Mads Mikkelsen, who mastered the quiet, yet expressive game, not least with its distinctive face, represents a strong and charismatic center of the visually stunning film that takes place in the north, wind-swept France, which does not explain unnecessarily while the steady and quietly moving towards its inevitable culmination.

Arnaud des Pallières have with Michael Kohlhaas made ​​a fascinating tales of destiny about right and wrong, reason and feeling, principles and recklessness, faith and fanaticism.

Strong and credible
American James Gray is another of the instructors who here finally in a better than average festival has lit up with a well told, well-made and interesting film in the form of The Immigrant, an unadulterated and opera inspired melodrama with Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner in the cast.

The film takes loosely based on Gray's own family history and is about two sisters, Ewa and Magda (Cotillard and Angela Sarafyan), who in 1921 - and like so many other aspiring immigrants from Europe - arriving at Ellis Island and New York with the desire for a better life in the United States. Magda will be interned because she is ill, and burlesque manager and pimp Bruno (Phoenix) seeks out Ewa as the perfect new member of his 'squad' and hires her by promising to get Magda from hospital on Ellis Island.

But Ewa is either stupid or naive, why she soon sees through Bruno and makes sure to get more out of their event than he imagined.

The texture filled, sepiatintede photos and James Gray's sense of period smallest details give The Immigrant great credibility and life, and Phoenix and Cotillard delivers both so strong game, they might well also be in contention for spectacle prices. Although she have to compete for Bérénice Bejo in Asghar Farhadis Le passé and young Marine Vacht in François Ozon's Jeune & Jolie.

Quality and width
Along with Michael Kohlhaas - and, apparently, Blue Is the Warmest Colour - suits The Immigrant also nicely into the festival's overall theme of people's search for happiness and meaning of life, whether it is material or existential.

It is at once quite specific - in terms of time, place and environment - and yet universal stories, films in the main competition in Cannes telling this year. Once you get a fascinating and both strange and familiar insight into how people live around the infinitely large and diverse world.

At this writing lacks only to appear two competition films: Roman Polanski Venus in Fur, a chamber play about the meeting between a director and an actor who must work on his new play. And Jim Jarmusch's Only Lovers Left Alive, which was supposed to be a love story about vampires.

The films and experiences should of course be allowed to settle down, but immediately it's hard to complain about the quality and breadth of this year's main competition in Cannes.

Source: information dk
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:55 pm

Mads didn't won, but that's no big suprise, I think.

Quote :
Goldene Palme für französischen Film

"La vie d'Adèle" ausgezeichnet

Stand: 26.05.2013 20:24 Uhr

Die Goldene Palme 2013 geht in diesem Jahr an den französischen Film "La vie d'Adèle" von Abdellatif Kechiche. Das gab die Jury zum Abschluss der 66. Festspiele in der südfranzösischen Stadt bekannt. Die Auszeichnung wurde an den Regisseur Kechiche und seine beiden Hauptdarstellerinnen Adèle Exarchopoulos und Léa Seydoux vergeben.

Im diesjährigen Wettbewerb hatten 20 Filme um die Preise konkurriert. Vorsitzender der Jury war der amerikanische Regisseur Steven Spielberg. Kechiche hat mit seinem fast dreistündigen Film ein beeindruckendes Porträt einer jungen Frau vorgelegt. Im Mittelpunkt steht die junge Adèle, die sich in Emma verliebt. Kechiche zeigt, wie die beiden Frauen ein Paar werden und auch, wie sie sich im Laufe der Jahre voneinander entfernen.

Der zweitwichtigste Preis, der Große Preis der Jury, ging in diesem Jahr an "Inside Llewyn Davis" von den amerikanischen Brüdern Ethan und Joel Coen. Den Regie-Preis bekam der Mexikaner Amat Escalante für seinen Film "Heli". Als beste Schauspielerin wurde Bérénice Bejo für ihre Rolle in "The Past" des Iraners Asghar Farhadi ausgezeichnet - als bester Schauspieler Bruce Dern in "Nebraska" des US-Regisseurs Alexander Payne. Das internationale Festival von Cannes gilt als das wichtigste Filmfest der Welt.

Die Preisträger des 66. Filmfestivals von Cannes

Goldene Palme: "La vie d'Adèle" (Frankreich)
Großer Preis der Jury: "Inside Llewyn Davis" (USA)
Preis der Jury: "Like Father, Like Son" (Japan)
Beste Schauspielerin: Bérénice Bejo in "The Past" (Iran)
Bester Schauspieler: Bruce Dern in "Nebraska" (USA)
Bestes Drehbuch: Jia Zhangke für "A Touch Of Sin" (China)
Beste Regie: Amat Escalante für "Heli" (Mexiko)
Goldene Palme bester Kurzfilm:"Safe" (Südkorea)

Golden Palm for French film

Excellent "La vie d'Adèle"

The Golden Palm 2013 this year goes to the French film "La vie d'Adèle" by Abdellatif Kechiche. That gave the jury at the end of the 66th Known festivals in the southern city. The award was given to the director and his two leading ladies Kechiche Adèle Exarchopoulos and Léa Seydoux.

In this year's competition had 20 films competing for the prizes. Chairman of the Jury was the American director Steven Spielberg. Kechiche has presented a striking portrait of a young woman with his nearly three-hour film. At the heart of the young Adèle who falls in love with Emma is. Kechiche shows how the two women are a couple and also as they grow apart over the years.

The second most important price, the Grand Jury Prize, this year went to "Inside Llewyn Davis" by the American brothers Ethan and Joel Coen. The government price was the Mexican Amat Escalante for his film "Heli". Best Actress Bérénice Bejo was honored for her role in "The Past" by the Iranian Asghar Farhadi - Best Actor Bruce Dern in "Nebraska" of U.S. director Alexander Payne. The international festival of Cannes is the most important film festival in the world.

The winners of the 66th Cannes Film Festival

Golden Palm: "La vie d'Adèle" (France)
Grand Jury Prize: "Inside Llewyn Davis" (USA)
Prize of the Jury: "Like Father, Like Son" (Japan)
Best Actress: Bérénice Bejo in "The Past" (Iran)
Best Actor: Bruce Dern in "Nebraska" (USA)
Best Screenplay: Jia Zhangke for "A Touch Of Sin" (China)
Best Director: Amat Escalante for "Heli" (Mexico)
Golden Palm Best Short Film: "Safe" (South Korea)

Source: Tagesschau

And there are two videos, but my internet is that bad, that I can't watch it yet:

An interview: Mads Mikkelsen Back at Cannes With French Role

Danish star Mads Mikkelsen returns to Cannes with Renaissance drama 'Michael Kohlhaas,' in which he fires crossbows, delivers a baby colt and speaks fluent French.

And Mads on red carpet

Last edited by Luin on Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Luin
One-Eye's One Eye
Luin

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 8:42 pm

You can watch a summery of a lot of movies in Cannes in the mediathek of German TV: Kulturzeit 3Sat There's a comment/review about Michael Kohlhaas (nearly the end) and a short interview with Mads.

I can't tell you the right time, because my internet has some problems, so I can't watch it, but I saw it last night on TV, so I know, that it's in there. Wink

I'm not sure, how long you can watch it. So do it better faster than slower.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Filmfestival in Cannes 2013   Filmfestival in Cannes 2013 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Filmfestival in Cannes 2013
Page 1 of 1